Natural disasters affect thousands of people every year, and though we all hope we will never have to deal with such a situation, the possibility is real. That’s why it’s critical to have a disaster plan that includes your dog.
From earthquakes to tornadoes to wildfires, floods and more, the first step in keeping your family and yourself safe during a natural disaster is knowing your risks and preparing ahead of time.
And for many people, our dogs ARE our family. So it is also essential to have a disaster plan in place for your dog in the event of a natural disaster.
Your dog’s disaster plan
- Be sure your dog can be identified if he gets out during a natural disaster — get him microchipped and have him wear a collar with an ID tag
- Put together a disaster kit for your dog, including food and water for at least five days, a sturdy leash, a carrier for transporting, blankets and towels
- Carry current photos of yourself with your dog in the event you get separated and need help finding him (and also in case you need you to prove that he’s yours once found)
- Keep written information with you and at home regarding your dog’s feeding schedule and any medical or behavioral conditions, and make sure to include the name and phone number of your veterinarian
- Make a mental note of where your dog likes to hide when he is scared — this will make finding him faster if you need to evacuate
- Consider carrying an emergency contact card in your wallet noting that you have a dog at home and the names of caregivers to contact if you are not available
- If you need help or information quickly, contact a local animal shelter or animal control for information and resources for your pet during an emergency
Protecting your home
It’s also important to think about protecting your home during a natural disaster. While most home items can be replaced, you can avoid spending more money than necessary by taking steps ahead of time.
Appliances and home systems like plumbing and electrical are costly. Consider getting a reliable, comprehensive home warranty plan that covers repairs and replacements that are, many times, inevitable after a natural disaster. TotalProtect offers plans that cover appliances, home systems or both, saving you from paying out of pocket to repair or replace them. Because the last thing you want to have to worry about after a natural disaster is paying hundreds or thousands of dollars to repair or replace appliances that are essential to everyday living.
While it’s not fun to think about all the “what ifs” that could happen, like anything else in life, the best way to handle worst-case scenario situations is to be as fully prepared as possible beforehand.
Then, in the event of a natural disaster, you can feel confident that you’ve done all you can to ensure the safety of the things you care about most.