Did you know some foods are safe for human consumption but dangerous and toxic to dogs?
For instance, you could eat wheat, rice, and soy and not have any weird feelings. But when some dogs eat those same items, they can get sick.
In short, some foods make humans strong and healthy but affect pups differently. The reason is that dogs have a different metabolism than humans.
Check out seven dangerous foods for dogs that you should prevent your dog from eating. Keep these food items out of reach of your pup or dog.
Tea, coffee, and any source of caffeine
Coffee, cocoa, and tea are all-natural sources of caffeine. Some medications and soft drinks also contain caffeine. Caffeine has the potential to increase a dog’s heart rate and stimulate its nervous system. After about 2 to 4 hours of ingesting caffeine, dogs may experience diarrhea, vomiting, inability to control the bladder, excessive thirst, and restlessness.
Additionally, if your pup consumes excessive caffeine, he can suddenly experience blurred vision, eyelid spasms, or eye burn. If you ever make the mistake of giving your pup caffeinated beverages and he starts showing any of these symptoms, quickly contact a dog ophthalmologist near you before his condition worsens.
While avocados are safe for humans to eat, they can be lethal for your dog. This is because of the presence of a toxin called persin in avocados. Persin is found in avocado pits, leaves, bark, and fruit. Thus you should avoid feeding your little furry pet any part of the plant.
When a puppy or an adult dog consumes persin, fluid may build up in the dog’s chest and lungs. Consequently, the dog can experience difficulty breathing, which can cause oxygen deprivation and, even worse, death.
Fluid may also build up in the abdomen, pancreas, and heart, resulting in other deadly complications. Moreover, if swallowed accidentally, avocado pits can lead to a blockage or choking in your pup’s digestive tract.
Raisins and grapes
Raisins and grapes can be extremely harmful to the health of your pup. Consuming them can lead to swift kidney failure, which can ultimately be disastrous. Although the toxic compounds that are present in grapes have not yet been identified, scientists, however, warn that even the tiniest amounts can affect your dog’s health.
Toxicity levels differ from dog to dog. However, a study showing 180 reports revealed that some dogs died after consuming just a handful of raisins. So, to be safe, don’t let your dog eat any.
It is crucial to remember that poisoning can occur from consuming raisins and grapes or ingesting them as ingredients in baked foods such as snack bars, cakes, and cookies. Look out for symptoms such as depression, fatigue, diarrhea, and vomiting.
If you see these signs, contact your vet immediately.
Consuming excessive salt could result in a condition known as water deprivation or salt poisoning in dogs. This can lead to seizures, fever, tremors, depression, diarrhea, and vomiting. The case could even be highly fatal in critical cases.
The Merck Veterinary Manual recommends that the harmful dose for pups is about 2.2 teaspoons of salt per pound (4 grams per kg) of body weight. Thus, it is a bad idea to give salted foods such as chips, popcorn, or pretzels to your dog. It is equally essential to ensure that your pup always has access to fresh drinking water.
Chocolate includes caffeine and theobromine, both of which are difficult for dogs to metabolize. If you give dogs chocolate, they can suffer dehydration, diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach pain. These conditions can also worsen more acute symptoms such as seizures, muscle tremors, internal bleeding, or heart attack. Ultimately, eating chocolate can kill your dog.
The severity of these side effects depends on your dog’s size and the type and amount of chocolate he’s eaten.
Darker and less sweet chocolates are typically more toxic to dogs. Unsweetened cocoa powder and baker’s chocolate are among the most harmful varieties.
The Merck Veterinary Manual reports that dogs may exhibit symptoms after consuming as little as 20 mg per kg (44 mg per pound) of body weight.
Yeast dough and alcohol
While it is safe for humans to consume alcohol occasionally, dogs cannot tolerate alcohol, even in small amounts.
Usually, symptoms will manifest within an hour of consumption and include diarrhea, vomiting, poor breathing, low body temperature, lack of muscle coordination, depression, and tiredness. Excess alcohol consumption in a dog can lead to seizures, coma, lung failure, and even death.
It is also a bad idea for pups to consume raw dough that contains yeast. As the yeast cells undergo fermentation, they produce alcohol, making a dog’s blood alcohol level spike and ultimately resulting in alcohol poisoning and even death.
It gets worse as the dough expands in the dog’s stomach and can lead to acute bloating. This places pressure on the surrounding organs and can result in extreme difficulty in the dog’s breathing.
Importantly, do not give your dog any form of alcohol or raw yeast dough. Do not leave alcoholic beverages unattended or raw dough within your pup’s reach.
This sugar substitute is often used to sweeten baked goods, toothpaste, chewing gum, and candy. Although harmless to humans, consumption of xylitol, also known as birch sugar, can be lethal for pups. Significantly, xylitol can result in liver damage or death.
Keep dangerous food away from your dog
Pets don’t control what they eat. Owners do. At all times, you need to ensure you feed your the right way and keep them away from toxic and dangerous food.