Is your dog constantly digging? You are not the only one in this struggle. Dogs are fascinating creatures that are also hard to understand. One second they may lay calmly next to you; the next second, they may dig your freshly-put in the garden. Since you cannot beat or strictly punish your pet, the ideas on stopping it are lacking.
Read this article to learn how to prevent digging holes, especially caused by hunting dog breeds.
How to stop dogs digging: Why does it happen?
Dogs are hard to understand, and they may dig for several reasons. However, the most obvious is that they are really bored. Digging is such entertainment, or they want to draw your attention. All the possible factors why they cause such damage are:
- You left your dog alone for much time. It does not have any company and gets extremely bored;
- They live in a boring environment. You do not give them any toys or other activities to spend time on;
- They are young and do not understand what is bad and what is good behavior. They seek activities to waste their energy on, and digging seems like fun;
- Their breed was originally linked to digging, like terriers who are masters in such activities;
- They saw you doing something in the garden and wanted to investigate what you hid under the ground.
All these variants are possible. The most interesting is the last one. Maybe you regularly do some jobs in your garden, and your dog thinks that you hide something for him/her out there. You should spend some time on research investigating what time, what places your dog digs the most. Maybe, such behavior is directly dictated by your activities. Otherwise, your dog used to dig all its life and now cannot stop doing it. In all cases, you should not be very strict and understand its needs. It is the same as many people bite their nails, and it is a nasty habit that frustrates others. So, both humans and animals have their guilty pleasures.
Now, let’s share some tips on how to stop dogs from digging holes.
How to stop dogs from digging?
It is always a good outcome when one’s dog digs in a certain area all the time. Such people are deprived of surprises across their households. If you notice the holes at the same place, the easiest way is to fence off that spot. However, be prepared that a dog will find a new place to entertain itself.
Another method on how to stop dogs digging under fences is to put rocks out there. They should be flat and hard to move. Otherwise, you may always put in some bushes or shrubs with thorns that may show your dog that it is not the best place to dig without scratches. Some dog owners even managed to organize a spraying system around those digging holes that make the smells dogs cannot tolerate. It involves vinegar or citrus products.
What to do if your dog cannot stop doing this damage? If the above-mentioned methods don’t work, try these tips:
Tips to modify your dog’s behavior
- Create a plan of attention and exercise for your dog. All the protective measures may be useless if you do not spend much time with a dog. Try to exercise or stroll with a dog to make it slightly exhausted. It won’t have much power to dig the holes;
- Buy toys or arrange a play garden for your pet. Whenever your dog wants to go to the favorite hole to dig, you may block it with a playground. Place their toys, balls, ropes, and other activities which may distract your dog;
- Set up a sandbox. If you cannot manage how to stop dogs from digging, make advances with them. Create a sandbox and adapt your dog to digging only there;
- Check the area nearby the holes or fences. Are there any trees and other animals? Some dogs seek communication and may see that there are squirrels or rats behind the fence which they prey. The only way to stop such digging is to call wild animal examinator to get rid of them peacefully;
- Ensure your dog does not dig because of scorching weather. Some dogs may dig large holes to hide from the heat. It should always have a shaded area and direct access to water;
- Check whether children make your dog angry or want to play with it behind the fence. Some digging events are linked to the children’s boredom, especially neighbors. They see your dog and try to draw its attention with treats. If it is your particular case, speak to those children’s parents to ensure they understand that your dog is not a game.
Get help to stop dogs digging
Last but not least, the advice is, of course, to rely on a dog breeder or trainer who knows how to train and educate dogs and how to stop dogs digging. Such services are not usually cheap; however, the results are always worth it. Your dog may learn to stop digging the holes alongside spoiling the furniture. It may learn how to react to other wild animals. Your participation in training is highly needed since you may learn how to train your dog further on.
That’s it. If none of the above-mentioned tips really helped you, it is the case of dog breeders only or other specialists in animal behaviors. If you overlook potential hurdles with your dogs, this advice is pretty basic. When proceeding with dog boarding, specify the breed you want and ask the breeder about the dog’s character to avoid any unexpected moods or such behaviors. Some are calm from childhood and won’t dig any holes, while some are super active and may bring you many inconveniences.